OOD DAY FOR:
Finishing what you started
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords completes the "Congress On Your Corner" event that was violently interrupted a year ago by the shooting that killed six people and nearly took her life. [The Daily What]
Two Japanese brothers find each other after nearly 60 years apart. The brothers were born in California, but were separated as children when their father died. [Huffington Post]
Tweeting in Chinese
A Chinese microblogging site — China's alternative to Twitter — shatters the record for the average number of tweets per second. During the Chinese New Year, an average of 32,312 messages were sent per second. [TIME]
BAD DAY FOR:
Forgetting your mistakes
San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Kyle Williams receives death threats after fumbling two punt returns, one in overtime, that cost the team its Super Bowl chances. [Opposing Views]
The Kentucky senator and vocal TSA critic is detained by the TSA in the Nashville airport after setting off a full-body scanner and refusing a pat-down. [Business Insider]
The cruise line that operated the ill-fated Costa Concordia ship offers victims 30 percent discounts on their next cruise, as long as they travel with Costa Cruises. [Newser]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 20, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
Subscribe to the Week