OOD DAY FOR:
Finishing what you started
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords completes the "Congress On Your Corner" event that was violently interrupted a year ago by the shooting that killed six people and nearly took her life. [The Daily What]
Two Japanese brothers find each other after nearly 60 years apart. The brothers were born in California, but were separated as children when their father died. [Huffington Post]
Tweeting in Chinese
A Chinese microblogging site — China's alternative to Twitter — shatters the record for the average number of tweets per second. During the Chinese New Year, an average of 32,312 messages were sent per second. [TIME]
BAD DAY FOR:
Forgetting your mistakes
San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Kyle Williams receives death threats after fumbling two punt returns, one in overtime, that cost the team its Super Bowl chances. [Opposing Views]
The Kentucky senator and vocal TSA critic is detained by the TSA in the Nashville airport after setting off a full-body scanner and refusing a pat-down. [Business Insider]
The cruise line that operated the ill-fated Costa Concordia ship offers victims 30 percent discounts on their next cruise, as long as they travel with Costa Cruises. [Newser]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 20, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- How the elderly are treated around the world
Subscribe to the Week