GOOD DAY FOR:
Finishing what you started
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords completes the "Congress On Your Corner" event that was violently interrupted a year ago by the shooting that killed six people and nearly took her life. [The Daily What]
Two Japanese brothers find each other after nearly 60 years apart. The brothers were born in California, but were separated as children when their father died. [Huffington Post]
Tweeting in Chinese
A Chinese microblogging site — China's alternative to Twitter — shatters the record for the average number of tweets per second. During the Chinese New Year, an average of 32,312 messages were sent per second. [TIME]
BAD DAY FOR:
Forgetting your mistakes
San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Kyle Williams receives death threats after fumbling two punt returns, one in overtime, that cost the team its Super Bowl chances. [Opposing Views]
The Kentucky senator and vocal TSA critic is detained by the TSA in the Nashville airport after setting off a full-body scanner and refusing a pat-down. [Business Insider]
The cruise line that operated the ill-fated Costa Concordia ship offers victims 30 percent discounts on their next cruise, as long as they travel with Costa Cruises. [Newser]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 20, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week