OOD DAY FOR:
Finishing what you started
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords completes the "Congress On Your Corner" event that was violently interrupted a year ago by the shooting that killed six people and nearly took her life. [The Daily What]
Two Japanese brothers find each other after nearly 60 years apart. The brothers were born in California, but were separated as children when their father died. [Huffington Post]
Tweeting in Chinese
A Chinese microblogging site — China's alternative to Twitter — shatters the record for the average number of tweets per second. During the Chinese New Year, an average of 32,312 messages were sent per second. [TIME]
BAD DAY FOR:
Forgetting your mistakes
San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Kyle Williams receives death threats after fumbling two punt returns, one in overtime, that cost the team its Super Bowl chances. [Opposing Views]
The Kentucky senator and vocal TSA critic is detained by the TSA in the Nashville airport after setting off a full-body scanner and refusing a pat-down. [Business Insider]
The cruise line that operated the ill-fated Costa Concordia ship offers victims 30 percent discounts on their next cruise, as long as they travel with Costa Cruises. [Newser]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 20, 2012
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Did God have a wife?
- 10 things you need to know today: December 9, 2013
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Watch SNL delightfully mess with all your childhood Christmas favorites
- 7 strange things found in people's stomachs [Updated]
- Homeland recap: 'Big Man in Tehran'
- Your financial to-do list for December
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
Subscribe to the Week