The Super Bowl of Hollywood is upon us. The 2012 Academy Award nominations were announced Tuesday morning, and Martin Scorsese's nostalgic 3D romp Hugo and the charming silent film The Artist scored the most nods, with 11 and 10, respectively. The full slate of nominations boasts plenty of oversights and surprises — of both the delightful and dismaying nature. Here, a look at those garnering the most buzz:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week