he video: An unusual new commercial for a Brazilian school that teaches English is dividing critics. (Watch the video below.) In the ad for the country's CCAA school, two young male plane crash survivors wash up on a deserted island paradise populated by dozens of scantily clad Megan Fox clones, all played through special effect wizardry by the alluring Transformers star. "Finally, our wait is over," the leader of the Fox tribe says to the new arrivals, in English. "Please, please talk to us." When the two boys can only speak Portuguese, Fox banishes them to a scary island inhabited by Mike Tyson and his menacing clones.
The reaction: The ad is "absolutely bonkers," says Emmet Purcell at Joe. There "are thousands of better ways" to attract students to a language school than this "bizarre" advertisement. It may seem a bit nonsensical, says Kurt Schlosser at MSNBC. But it's actually "a clever spot that plays in any language." After all, says Leah Simpson at The Daily Mail, "if enjoying life on an island inhabited by Megan Fox clones isn't enough to encourage adolescent boys to learn another language, then nothing will." See for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
Subscribe to the Week