OOD DAY FOR:
New York City utility workers correct a misspelled sign, changing it from "shcool" to "school." The embarrassing mistake had been in place since July, 2010. [Huffington Post]
The same Navy Seal unit that killed Osama bin Laden rescues two aide workers who had been held hostage in Somalia since October. [The Daily What]
A new iPhone app called Viggle rewards TV viewers for watching as many shows as possible. Viewers who collect enough points earn a $5 gift card redeemable at participating retailers. [Daily Mail]
BAD DAY FOR:
A survey reveals that one-fifth of Germans aged 18 to 30 do not know the name of the most notorious Nazi concentration camp (Auschwitz) or what happened there. [Daily Mail]
For $10, perversely sentimental Valentines can procure the right to name one of the Bronx Zoo's Madagascar hissing cockroaches after their lovers. [Gothamist]
Citibank asks customers to report the bonus miles they earn from its ThankYou rewards program on their taxes. It remains to be seen whether the IRS also considers frequent flyer miles taxable income. [Los Angeles Times]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 24, 2012
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
Did God have a wife?
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Ryan Seacrest invested $1 million to transform your iPhone into a BlackBerry
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- All the World Cup mascots, ranked
Subscribe to the Week