OOD DAY FOR:
Healthier Happy Meals?
McDonald's removes a processed-food ingredient called ammonia hydroxide from its burger patties following pressure from TV chef Jamie Oliver, who dubbed the substance "pink slime." [Opposing Views]
A Florida woman survives being repeatedly stabbed in the chest after her new breast implants blocked the knife from piercing her heart. [Daily Mail]
A 17-year-old high-school student saves a school bus full of kids by taking the wheel after the driver suffered a heart attack. [Newser]
BAD DAY FOR:
Beating the super-bug
Researchers discover a type of bacteria off the Antarctic coast that can resist nearly all antibiotics. [New Scientist]
Owning an iPad
A new study says using a tablet strains one's neck muscles far more than using a laptop or desktop computer does. [Los Angeles Times]
Reports spread that bed bugs have been discovered in New York City's Ritz-Carlton Hotel. A room in the elite hotel runs anywhere from $695 to $4,500 a night. [Huffington Post]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 25, 2012
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Did Paul Ryan just throw in the towel on 2016?
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- 7 enduring lessons from It's a Wonderful Life
- The secrets of happy families
Subscribe to the Week