OOD DAY FOR:
Healthier Happy Meals?
McDonald's removes a processed-food ingredient called ammonia hydroxide from its burger patties following pressure from TV chef Jamie Oliver, who dubbed the substance "pink slime." [Opposing Views]
A Florida woman survives being repeatedly stabbed in the chest after her new breast implants blocked the knife from piercing her heart. [Daily Mail]
A 17-year-old high-school student saves a school bus full of kids by taking the wheel after the driver suffered a heart attack. [Newser]
BAD DAY FOR:
Beating the super-bug
Researchers discover a type of bacteria off the Antarctic coast that can resist nearly all antibiotics. [New Scientist]
Owning an iPad
A new study says using a tablet strains one's neck muscles far more than using a laptop or desktop computer does. [Los Angeles Times]
Reports spread that bed bugs have been discovered in New York City's Ritz-Carlton Hotel. A room in the elite hotel runs anywhere from $695 to $4,500 a night. [Huffington Post]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 25, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why you're probably drinking your beer all wrong
Subscribe to the Week