OOD DAY FOR:
Quitting your day job
The late music mogul Alan Meltzer leaves $1 million of his $10 million estate to his chauffeur. His doorman gets $500,000. [Newser]
Jack White, formerly of The White Stripes, announces he will release his first solo album in April. [The Daily What]
Women tired of taking the pill
Researchers find that blasting male reproductive organs with ultrasound halts sperm production, hinting at the potential for a cheap, effective form of male birth control. [Boing Boing]
BAD DAY FOR:
Fifteen percent of participants in a new survey say they would miss the birth of their child to watch their team play in the Super Bowl. [UPI]
A poll of 4,000 Facebook users finds that 83 percent have a negative reaction to the social network's much-touted new Timeline profile format. [TIME]
A study shows that upon returning to the U.S., many soldiers have a hard time re-adapting to driving outside of conflict zones, and may revert to dangerous driving behavior. [ThinkProgress]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 27, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week