GOOD DAY FOR:
Quitting your day job
The late music mogul Alan Meltzer leaves $1 million of his $10 million estate to his chauffeur. His doorman gets $500,000. [Newser]
Jack White, formerly of The White Stripes, announces he will release his first solo album in April. [The Daily What]
Women tired of taking the pill
Researchers find that blasting male reproductive organs with ultrasound halts sperm production, hinting at the potential for a cheap, effective form of male birth control. [Boing Boing]
BAD DAY FOR:
Fifteen percent of participants in a new survey say they would miss the birth of their child to watch their team play in the Super Bowl. [UPI]
A poll of 4,000 Facebook users finds that 83 percent have a negative reaction to the social network's much-touted new Timeline profile format. [TIME]
A study shows that upon returning to the U.S., many soldiers have a hard time re-adapting to driving outside of conflict zones, and may revert to dangerous driving behavior. [ThinkProgress]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 27, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week