GOOD DAY FOR:
Quitting your day job
The late music mogul Alan Meltzer leaves $1 million of his $10 million estate to his chauffeur. His doorman gets $500,000. [Newser]
Jack White, formerly of The White Stripes, announces he will release his first solo album in April. [The Daily What]
Women tired of taking the pill
Researchers find that blasting male reproductive organs with ultrasound halts sperm production, hinting at the potential for a cheap, effective form of male birth control. [Boing Boing]
BAD DAY FOR:
Fifteen percent of participants in a new survey say they would miss the birth of their child to watch their team play in the Super Bowl. [UPI]
A poll of 4,000 Facebook users finds that 83 percent have a negative reaction to the social network's much-touted new Timeline profile format. [TIME]
A study shows that upon returning to the U.S., many soldiers have a hard time re-adapting to driving outside of conflict zones, and may revert to dangerous driving behavior. [ThinkProgress]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 27, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week