GOOD DAY FOR:
Quitting your day job
The late music mogul Alan Meltzer leaves $1 million of his $10 million estate to his chauffeur. His doorman gets $500,000. [Newser]
Jack White, formerly of The White Stripes, announces he will release his first solo album in April. [The Daily What]
Women tired of taking the pill
Researchers find that blasting male reproductive organs with ultrasound halts sperm production, hinting at the potential for a cheap, effective form of male birth control. [Boing Boing]
BAD DAY FOR:
Fifteen percent of participants in a new survey say they would miss the birth of their child to watch their team play in the Super Bowl. [UPI]
A poll of 4,000 Facebook users finds that 83 percent have a negative reaction to the social network's much-touted new Timeline profile format. [TIME]
A study shows that upon returning to the U.S., many soldiers have a hard time re-adapting to driving outside of conflict zones, and may revert to dangerous driving behavior. [ThinkProgress]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 27, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why we gossip, according to science
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
Subscribe to the Week