s the New England Patriots and New York Giants square off this Sunday for Super Bowl XLVI, America's estimated 113 million viewers will have something besides football and commercials on their minds: Food. At Super Bowl parties in houses and restaurants, on couches and bar stools, Americans will reliably be chowing down. Here, a by-the-numbers look at the collectively gluttonous feast Super Bowl watchers will enjoy as they watch elite athletes run up and down the gridiron in Indianapolis:
Ranking of Super Bowl Sunday among America's top eating days, after Thanksgiving
Chicken wings Super Bowl watchers will polish off Sunday
Pounds of meat in those chicken wings
Percent of the year's 25 billion wings that will be consumed on Sunday
Times those Super Bowl Sunday chicken wings could circle the Earth if they were linked up in a chain
Percent of viewers who will eat chicken wings
Price per pound of wholesale chicken wings in Indianapolis, a 50 percent jump from six months ago
Bottles of beer game-watchers will guzzle
People who will order takeout or delivery on Super Bowl Sunday
People who will go to a restaurant or bar to watch the big game
Percent of West Coast viewers who will watch the game in a bar or restaurant
Percent of East Coast viewers who will watch the game in a bar or restaurant
Percent of game-watchers who say a healthy food item is a must for their spread, according to the National Restaurant Association
Percent who say pizza is a game-day must-have
Viewers of last year's Super Bowl
Estimated viewers of this year's game, according to a Media Life poll
Americans who won't watch the Super Bowl
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- The worrying rise of the anti-vaccination movement
- Can Rand Paul avoid the Neville Chamberlain trap?
- To build the Death Star, we'll need this space elevator
Subscribe to the Week