OOD DAY FOR:
Planned Parenthood benefits from a flood of new donations after the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation announces it will cut funding for the organization. [Newser]
A two-faced kitten is born healthy in Florida. The cat reportedly eats and meows out of both mouths. [Huffington Post]
Boosting your popularity
A new iPhone app rewards a user's friends with prizes when they hang out with him. [The Consumerist]
BAD DAY FOR:
More than 1 million birth control pill packets are recalled because they might actually raise the risk of pregnancy. [The Daily What]
Taking a stand
Josh Fox, the Oscar-nominated director of Gasland, is arrested and charged with "unlawful entry" after he refuses to leave a congressional hearing on hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking." [The Hill]
A New Zealand handyman unintentially sets sail for the South Pole when the ship he was repairing hurriedly departs with him still on board. [Our Amazing Planet]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 31, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week