GOOD DAY FOR:
Planned Parenthood benefits from a flood of new donations after the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation announces it will cut funding for the organization. [Newser]
A two-faced kitten is born healthy in Florida. The cat reportedly eats and meows out of both mouths. [Huffington Post]
Boosting your popularity
A new iPhone app rewards a user's friends with prizes when they hang out with him. [The Consumerist]
BAD DAY FOR:
More than 1 million birth control pill packets are recalled because they might actually raise the risk of pregnancy. [The Daily What]
Taking a stand
Josh Fox, the Oscar-nominated director of Gasland, is arrested and charged with "unlawful entry" after he refuses to leave a congressional hearing on hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking." [The Hill]
A New Zealand handyman unintentially sets sail for the South Pole when the ship he was repairing hurriedly departs with him still on board. [Our Amazing Planet]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 31, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week