elcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's contest: A Northern Illinois University study found that managers who exercise regularly are noticeably less nasty than those who don't. We asked you to come up with the next exercise machine built specifically for grouchy bosses.
THE WINNER: The Disapproving Stare Master
Ken Kosky, Valparaiso, IN
SECOND PLACE: The Criti-Cizer
Dan Hall, East Greenville, PA
THIRD PLACE: Thy Master
Bill Massey, Orlando, FL
Tyrant Tamer 3000
Amy Lo, San Francisco, CA
The Micro-Muscle Manager
Kevin Kirkland, San Diego, CA
Pain in the Abs-Cruncher
Derek Dodge, Caro, MI
Anti-Cross Boss Trainer
Sister Monica Elmer, Orleans, MA
The "You Pedal, I Watch" Tandem Stationary Bike
Meredith Short, N. Charleston, SC
Argy Koumas, New York, NY
Middle Management Treadmill
Catherine Lonsway, Coos Bay, OR
David Haller, Somersworth, NH
Cali Preston, Perry Hall, MD
Profit-Sharing Stimulus Machine
Barry Cutler, Palm Desert, CA
Janis Allen, Brevard, NC
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville, TV
David Levin, Edgewater, MD
Matt Nelson, North Woodmere, NY
The Business Cycle
Patrick Landry, Oakland, CA
Pilar Almy, Seattle, WA
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week