Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's contest: A Northern Illinois University study found that managers who exercise regularly are noticeably less nasty than those who don't. We asked you to come up with the next exercise machine built specifically for grouchy bosses.
THE WINNER: The Disapproving Stare Master
Ken Kosky, Valparaiso, IN
SECOND PLACE: The Criti-Cizer
Dan Hall, East Greenville, PA
THIRD PLACE: Thy Master
Bill Massey, Orlando, FL
Tyrant Tamer 3000
Amy Lo, San Francisco, CA
The Micro-Muscle Manager
Kevin Kirkland, San Diego, CA
Pain in the Abs-Cruncher
Derek Dodge, Caro, MI
Anti-Cross Boss Trainer
Sister Monica Elmer, Orleans, MA
The "You Pedal, I Watch" Tandem Stationary Bike
Meredith Short, N. Charleston, SC
Argy Koumas, New York, NY
Middle Management Treadmill
Catherine Lonsway, Coos Bay, OR
David Haller, Somersworth, NH
Cali Preston, Perry Hall, MD
Profit-Sharing Stimulus Machine
Barry Cutler, Palm Desert, CA
Janis Allen, Brevard, NC
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville, TV
David Levin, Edgewater, MD
Matt Nelson, North Woodmere, NY
The Business Cycle
Patrick Landry, Oakland, CA
Pilar Almy, Seattle, WA
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Why we gossip, according to science
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week