he video: Quarterback Tom Brady's supermodel wife Gisele Bundchen had some unkind words for her husband's teammates after the New England Patriots' meltdown against the New York Giants in Sunday's Super Bowl. First, an opposing fan heckled the former Victoria's Secret model in the tunnel of Indianapolis' Lucas Oil Stadium, yelling that Giants quarterback Eli Manning "owns your husband!" A clearly annoyed Gisele turned to her entourage and — apparently referring to critical dropped passes by New England's Wes Welker, Deion Branch, and Aaron Hernandez — said, "You have to catch the ball when you're supposed to catch the ball. My husband cannot f--king throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time." (Watch video of the "rant" below.) "I can't believe they dropped the ball so many times."
The reaction: Gisele sure looks like a "sore loser," says the Miami Herald. She was already "humiliated" last week when private emails leaked in which she asked close friends to pray for a Pats victory. With this newest video, "she's kinda sorta melting down in public." In any case, Brady's teammates can't be happy, says Matthew Scianitti at National Post. Welker in particular — who has publicly berated himself for letting the biggest catch of his life "touch his finger tips and then inexplicably fall to Earth" — "will probably forever think she was talking about him." And it's hard to feel too bad for Gisele, says Barry Petchesky at Deadspin. Sure, she was heckled. But that's simply "the cost of doing business when you date an athlete." Take a look:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- Entrepreneurs: A dying breed?
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- When will the Big One strike California?
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
Subscribe to the Week