ost Broadway productions are lucky to run for a year. On Saturday, The Phantom of the Opera celebrated its 10,000th Broadway performance, setting a record as the longest-running show ever on the Great White Way. Not only that, the Andrew Lloyd Weber musical is still among Broadway's top earners. Here, a look at its blockbuster run, by the numbers:
Record number of performances clocked by the Broadway production of The Phantom of the Opera. It opened in New York on Jan. 26, 1988.
Years Phantom has been on Broadway
Performances delivered by the cast of Cats, the second longest-running musical ever on Broadway
Performances delivered by the cast of Chicago, the second longest-running musical currently on Broadway
Original cost of the Phantom production
Amount the show has earned over its 10,000 performances
Phantom's gross last year, its best annual tally ever
Phantom's gross during a week last December, its highest weekly gross ever
Countries that have staged a production
Cities in which the show has played
Phantom's worldwide gross
Percent of Phantom's New York audience on any given night who has seen the show at least once before
Percent of audience who are women
Percent of audience who are tourists
Tony Awards won by Phantom in 1988, including Best Musical, Best Director (Harold Prince), and Best Actor (Michael Crawford). The show received 10 nominations total.
Actors have played the title role of the Phantom on Broadway
Phantom performances given by actor George Lee Andrews, the Guinness World Record holder for the most performances in the same Broadway show. He had been with the show for 23 years, playing the featured role of Monsieur Andrew.
Times a year that 84-year-old Harold Prince, who won a Tony Award for directing Phantom, says he returns to the Broadway production to give notes
Sequel spawned by The Phantom of the Opera. Love Never Dies opened last year in London's West End, to mostly negative reviews.
Sources: AP, IBDB (2,3), NY Times (2), Telegraph
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week