Most Broadway productions are lucky to run for a year. On Saturday, The Phantom of the Opera celebrated its 10,000th Broadway performance, setting a record as the longest-running show ever on the Great White Way. Not only that, the Andrew Lloyd Weber musical is still among Broadway's top earners. Here, a look at its blockbuster run, by the numbers:
Record number of performances clocked by the Broadway production of The Phantom of the Opera. It opened in New York on Jan. 26, 1988.
Years Phantom has been on Broadway
Performances delivered by the cast of Cats, the second longest-running musical ever on Broadway
Performances delivered by the cast of Chicago, the second longest-running musical currently on Broadway
Original cost of the Phantom production
Amount the show has earned over its 10,000 performances
Phantom's gross last year, its best annual tally ever
Phantom's gross during a week last December, its highest weekly gross ever
Countries that have staged a production
Cities in which the show has played
Phantom's worldwide gross
Percent of Phantom's New York audience on any given night who has seen the show at least once before
Percent of audience who are women
Percent of audience who are tourists
Tony Awards won by Phantom in 1988, including Best Musical, Best Director (Harold Prince), and Best Actor (Michael Crawford). The show received 10 nominations total.
Actors have played the title role of the Phantom on Broadway
Phantom performances given by actor George Lee Andrews, the Guinness World Record holder for the most performances in the same Broadway show. He had been with the show for 23 years, playing the featured role of Monsieur Andrew.
Times a year that 84-year-old Harold Prince, who won a Tony Award for directing Phantom, says he returns to the Broadway production to give notes
Sequel spawned by The Phantom of the Opera. Love Never Dies opened last year in London's West End, to mostly negative reviews.
Sources: AP, IBDB (2,3), NY Times (2), Telegraph
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week