Tumblr who? Social sharing service Pinterest — once dubbed the web's "hottest new social startup" — is now a bona fide online destination. The site allows users to showcase online discoveries by "pinning" art, photographs, fashion finds, recipes, and more onto a virtual pin-board for users to share with friends. (Read an explainer on how Pinterest works here.) Now the site is growing at an unprecedented rate, with powerhouses like Etsy, Real Simple, and yes, The Week already onboard. With a "stunningly feminine fan base," Pinterest makes no qualms about aggressively pursuing this attractive market segment, says Josh Constine at TechCrunch. Here, a look at the web's growing Pinterest "obsession," by the numbers:
Registered users on Pinterest
Ratio of Pinterest's registered users who visit the site every day
Daily user count at the beginning of 2012
Daily user count a month later
Percentage of Pinterest's Facebook fans who are women
Monthly Facebook-connected Pinterest users in November 2011
Monthly Facebook-connected Pinterest users in February 2012
Unique monthly U.S. visitors for January 2012, according to comScore. Pinterest crossed the 10 million threshold faster than any other standalone site in history.
18 to 34
Age demographic of women propelling the site
Percentage the site grew between September and December 2011
Minutes per month the average user spends pinning
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week