GOOD DAY FOR:
The celebrity chef discovers hidden treasures worth $1.8 million while renovating the basement of his new restaurant in Manchester, England. The loot includes rare master tapes by the bands Joy Division and New Order. [Death & Taxes]
Jeremy Lin fanatics
Nike releases preview images of an upcoming shoe dedicated to the New York Knicks' surprise superstar. [Opposing Views]
Obama's reelection chances
A new Gallup index says Americans rated their own well-being higher in January of 2012 than in any month since early 2010. [UPI.com]
BAD DAY FOR:
San Diego police engage in a two-hour armed standoff with a roadside vehicle before realizing the car was empty. [Huffington Post]
Bristol Palin is caught using Craigslist to beg people to attend her Washington, D.C., book signing. [Newser]
The power of love
Over 15,000 residents in Southern California recover from a power outage caused by a wayward Valentine's Day balloon. [The Daily What]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: February 14, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
- Stop hating on cyclists
Subscribe to the Week