OOD DAY FOR:
The celebrity chef discovers hidden treasures worth $1.8 million while renovating the basement of his new restaurant in Manchester, England. The loot includes rare master tapes by the bands Joy Division and New Order. [Death & Taxes]
Jeremy Lin fanatics
Nike releases preview images of an upcoming shoe dedicated to the New York Knicks' surprise superstar. [Opposing Views]
Obama's reelection chances
A new Gallup index says Americans rated their own well-being higher in January of 2012 than in any month since early 2010. [UPI.com]
BAD DAY FOR:
San Diego police engage in a two-hour armed standoff with a roadside vehicle before realizing the car was empty. [Huffington Post]
Bristol Palin is caught using Craigslist to beg people to attend her Washington, D.C., book signing. [Newser]
The power of love
Over 15,000 residents in Southern California recover from a power outage caused by a wayward Valentine's Day balloon. [The Daily What]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: February 14, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
Subscribe to the Week