Who needs Vegas? In Playboy's March issue, the adults-only magazine outlined an ambitious vision for a glitzy new resort — in space. The futuristic, Ferris-wheel-shaped club would come complete with flying waitresses and private suites for couples looking to get a bird's-eye view of Earth. Before you start planning an out-of-this-world bachelor party, here's what you should know:
A Playboy club in space?
Apparently. The sci-fi getaway would be kind of like a cruise ship, explain Playboy writers A.J. Baime and Jason Harper. The club would be built on a wheel-shaped space station, boasting a fully-stocked bar and restaurant; a windowless, zero-gravity dance club lined with trampolines; a casino featuring "human roulette" (presumably, a person would act as the ball in a giant roulette wheel); and, of course, Hugh Hefner's signature bunnies serving drinks... and wearing jet packs.
Indeed. Private rooms in the "orbital pleasure dome" would feature large windows looking down on Earth, says Tariq Malik at LiveScience — perfect for a thrill-seeking couple's romantic rendezvous.
How would vacationers get there?
By taking the in-development commercial spaceships of Virgin Galactic, the space tourism company founded by British billionaire Richard Branson. Virgin Galactic is already selling $200,000 tickets for the inaugural trip onboard SpaceShipTwo, which could rocket tourists into space later this year.
C'mon. Could this really work?
It's not impossible. Playboy seems to be taking the plan somewhat seriously, enlisting the expertise of former NASA scientist Stan Kent and futurist Thomas Frey from the Davini Institute to explain the physics behind the pleasure-packed space station, says Kate Springer at TIME. The spinning restaurant, for example, would use centrifugal force to create artificial gravity, thereby "keeping food and drinks from floating away." But let's not get too carried away, says Doug Barry at Jezebel. Playboy's plan is "still the stuff of artist renditions."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why I give money to homeless people
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
Subscribe to the Week