OOD DAY FOR:
Virgin Atlantic hires a "whisper coach" to teach flight crews how to keep their voices low enough to provide "the most comfortable experience possible for our passengers." [TIME]
The U.S. State Department announces that poverty-stricken rogue state North Korea has agreed to stop its nuclear activities in exchange for food aid. [The Daily What]
Star Wars-inspired gadgets
Microsoft Research unveils a prototype of an augmented reality system that could transmit holographic communications similar to Princess Leia's famous "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi" message. [Discovery News]
BAD DAY FOR:
Dan Aykroyd squelches rumors of a third Ghostbusters movie, saying Bill Murray has refused to sign on. [Death & Taxes]
A woman admits to accidentally burning down the oldest pond cypress tree in the world, and perhaps the fifth-oldest tree on the planet. She says she was inside the 3,500-year-old tree smoking meth and lit a fire so she could see better. [io9]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: February 28, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- How to make homemade marshmallow Peeps
Subscribe to the Week