GOOD DAY FOR:
Virgin Atlantic hires a "whisper coach" to teach flight crews how to keep their voices low enough to provide "the most comfortable experience possible for our passengers." [TIME]
The U.S. State Department announces that poverty-stricken rogue state North Korea has agreed to stop its nuclear activities in exchange for food aid. [The Daily What]
Star Wars-inspired gadgets
Microsoft Research unveils a prototype of an augmented reality system that could transmit holographic communications similar to Princess Leia's famous "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi" message. [Discovery News]
BAD DAY FOR:
Dan Aykroyd squelches rumors of a third Ghostbusters movie, saying Bill Murray has refused to sign on. [Death & Taxes]
A woman admits to accidentally burning down the oldest pond cypress tree in the world, and perhaps the fifth-oldest tree on the planet. She says she was inside the 3,500-year-old tree smoking meth and lit a fire so she could see better. [io9]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: February 28, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
Subscribe to the Week