elcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: NASA is seeking volunteers to serve as chefs during a simulated 4-month mission to Mars. Applicants will try to whip up tasty meals from space-appropriate packaged supplies, while wearing spacesuits. We asked you to give one of these new dishes a name.
THE WINNER: Veal Armstrong
Matt Kirchman, Salem, MA
SECOND PLACE: Kentucky Dried Chicken
Alex Mason, Walla Walla, WA
THIRD PLACE: Alan Shepard Pie
Douglas Pang, Linthicum Heights, MD
Zelig Kaplan, St. Louis Park, MN
Thrice Recycled Lemonade
Lauri Pavlik, Selbyville, DE
Adam Shapiro, River Vale, NJ
Hash von Brauns
Steve Savage, Dallas, TX
Barry Cutler, Palm Desert, CA
Coke Zero Gravity
Linda Kelch, Dallas, TX
Zero Bean Salad
Brendan Leyden, Lomita, CA
Macaroni & G's
Eloise Hills, Schenectady, NY
Moshe Kessler, Flushing, NY
Sandi Cunningham, Owings Mills, MD
Karen Allamon, Atlanta, GA
Paul Witte, New Hope, PA
Steve Ziobro, Reeseville, WI
Coq au Tang
Jeff Frankenfield, San Francisco, CA
Flash Gordon Bleu
Jeremy Pallotta, Londonderry, NH
Spaghetti and Mars Balls
Nathaniel Hewett, Boston, MA
The Right Stuffing
Louis Phillips, New York, NY
Ken Gough, Williamsville, NY
Allan Kaplan, St. Louis Park, MN
Marie McIntosh, Frankford, DE
Peggy Mills, San Francisco, CA
Rich Creason, New Cumberland, PA
Launch Pad Thai
Barbara Larkin, Dallas, TX
Brian Lees, New York, NY
Rick Whistler, West Jordan, UT
Billion Dollar Casserole
Tim Possley, Erie, IL
Some kind of chocolate candy bar, but I haven't come up with a good name yet.
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
- Are differences in IQ to blame for income inequality?
- Why learning which of your Facebook friends hate you is a great idea
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Watch The Daily Show pit Pope Francis against Fox News' 'War on Christmas'
- The indignity of canine bath time
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- How to dramatically improve your memory
Subscribe to the Week