Lady Gaga made Twitter history this month by becoming the first person to amass 20 million followers or "Tweeps" (twitter + people) on the micro-blogging juggernaut. What accounts for her unrivaled popularity? Social media analyst Stewart Townsend tells BBC News that Gaga is "active, she participates, she listens, she engages." And unlike many other celebrities, Gaga reportedly writes her own tweets. Here, a numerical breakdown of the pop superstar's Twitter dominance:
Followers of @ladygaga as of Wednesday morning. Gaga's most recent tweet, from March 3: "Did ANYONE see SPRINGSTEEN on Fallon last night!!! Buy his new album. It is so genius its hard to even believe. Just mind-blowing passion."
Followers of @justinbieber, making the young singer the second most popular person on Twitter
Followers of @katyperry, Twitter's third most popular account
People who have more than 10 million Twitter followers. In order: Gaga, Bieber, Perry, Shakira, Rihanna, Kim Kardashian, Britney Spears, Barack Obama, Taylor Swift, and Selena Gomez.
Days it took Gaga to go from 19 million to 20 million followers
Less than 1
Months that MediaBistro predicts it will take Gaga to reach 21 million followers
Months that Lady Gaga has been the most-followed person on Twitter, surpassing Britney Spears in August 2010 and never looking back. Spears now has 13.5 million followers.
Followers Ashton Kutcher challenged CNN to accumulate before him in 2009. Kutcher won. He now has 9.6 million followers, while CNN Breaking News' Twitter account has 6.6 million.
Fans Lady Gaga has on Facebook
Fans Rihanna has on Facebook, making the "Umbrella" singer the most "liked" person on the site
Followers Lady Gaga has on Google+
Followers Britney Spears has on Google+, making her the most popular person on that dubious social network
Social networking sites Gaga plans to launch. Little Monsters "may resemble popular image-sharing site Pinterest," forecasts BBC News.
Sources: BBC News, Business Insider, CBS News, Cinema Blend, Mashable, Media Bistro, MSNBC, MTV, Twitter (2)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week