GOOD DAY FOR:
A 101-year-old woman is officially recognized by Guinness World Records as the "oldest female to paraglide tandem." [Associated Press]
Never giving up
The State Department announces that it will fund a new search for the remains of aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart and her plane. [The Daily What]
Celebrities in space
Ashton Kutcher becomes the 500th customer to sign up for Virgin Galactic's future tourist space flights. [Discovery News]
BAD DAY FOR:
The Mouse House
Disney announces that its big-budget action film John Carter lost $200 million, making it one of the biggest flops in recent memory. [Financial Times]
Snooki signs on for a sixth season of the hard-partying reality TV show Jersey Shore... despite her pregnancy. [MTV]
The New York Times tightens its paywall, cutting a casual reader's number of free monthly articles from 20 to 10. [Consumerist]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: March 19, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week