OOD DAY FOR:
A 101-year-old woman is officially recognized by Guinness World Records as the "oldest female to paraglide tandem." [Associated Press]
Never giving up
The State Department announces that it will fund a new search for the remains of aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart and her plane. [The Daily What]
Celebrities in space
Ashton Kutcher becomes the 500th customer to sign up for Virgin Galactic's future tourist space flights. [Discovery News]
BAD DAY FOR:
The Mouse House
Disney announces that its big-budget action film John Carter lost $200 million, making it one of the biggest flops in recent memory. [Financial Times]
Snooki signs on for a sixth season of the hard-partying reality TV show Jersey Shore... despite her pregnancy. [MTV]
The New York Times tightens its paywall, cutting a casual reader's number of free monthly articles from 20 to 10. [Consumerist]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: March 19, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Attack of the invasive species
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week