OOD DAY FOR:
A 101-year-old woman is officially recognized by Guinness World Records as the "oldest female to paraglide tandem." [Associated Press]
Never giving up
The State Department announces that it will fund a new search for the remains of aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart and her plane. [The Daily What]
Celebrities in space
Ashton Kutcher becomes the 500th customer to sign up for Virgin Galactic's future tourist space flights. [Discovery News]
BAD DAY FOR:
The Mouse House
Disney announces that its big-budget action film John Carter lost $200 million, making it one of the biggest flops in recent memory. [Financial Times]
Snooki signs on for a sixth season of the hard-partying reality TV show Jersey Shore... despite her pregnancy. [MTV]
The New York Times tightens its paywall, cutting a casual reader's number of free monthly articles from 20 to 10. [Consumerist]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: March 19, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
Subscribe to the Week