Good Day, Bad Day
Grinches, peaceful commuting
GOOD DAY FOR: Grinches, as analysts expect holiday sales this year to rise a miserly 4 percent, the smallest increase since 2002. Stores that cater to lower- and middle-income shoppers are expected to get his harder than luxury retailers. (CNNMoney.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Peaceful commuting, as the New York Metropolitan Transit Authority said that subway riders will have cellphone reception in all 277 underground stations starting in two years. Out of consideration to beleaguered straphangers, however, the subway tunnels will not be wired for service. (The New York Times, free registration required)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week