Plenty of parents post videos online showing off their progeny's ability to play, dance, and generally be ingratiating. But, judging by the mommy blogger reaction, actress Alicia Silverstone has taken the baby video to a disturbing new level. In a clip she posted on her blog, The Kind Life, Silverstone feeds her 11-month-old son, Bear Blu, by chewing up food and passing it from her mouth into his. (See the video below.) She did once star in a film called Clueless — but isn't this taking mother-child bonding a bit too far?
This is disgusting and baffling: "I'm trying to come up with something nice to say, and... Sorry. I've got nothing," says Jeanne Sager at The Stir. Regurgitating food into your kid's mouth is "weird. It's disgusting. And in a world where you can pick up a food processor for $50 at Target, it's unnecessary!" I can't imagine doing such a thing. "Why would I? I'm raising a baby human, not a baby bird."
"Alicia Silverstone's gross baby feeding method is cry for attention — we hope!?"
Well, she probably has the best intentions: "There are those who think that a mom chewing a baby's food provides helpful enzymes from her mouth," Dr. Jennifer Landa, chief medical officer of BodyLogic, tells Fox News, so Silverstone might not be entirely clueless. Nevertheless, this practice could pass bacteria and viruses, including herpes, from mothers to babies. And, safety aside, there's "a certain ick factor" that can't be ignored.
"Alicia Silverstone chews food for her 11-month-old child, Bear Blu"
Clearly, this is not for everyone: Pre-chewed meat can provide infants with nutrients — such as iron, zinc, and b12 — that they can't get from breast milk, says Tracie Egan Morrissey at Jezebel, although that can't be Silverstone's motivation, as she's a vegan. It appears to simply be a happy bonding moment for mother and baby. It works for her, but Silverstone's mealtime sounds like a nightmare to me. "She has a toddler literally trying to suck food out of her face? No thanks."
"Alicia Silverstone feeds her son with her mouth"
Watch Silverstone's video and judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Eric Holder blew it as attorney general. His replacement will, too,
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- Confronting our twisted relationship with food
Subscribe to the Week