o matter what the Supreme Court decides regarding the constitutionality of President Obama's health-care overhaul, this much is clear: Health-care costs are rising, and will keep rising, so Americans aren't getting much bang for their health care buck. Health consulting firm Milliman Inc. expects 2012 to be the fifth year in a row that U.S. health-care costs will jump about 7 or 8 percent, and while people who pay out of pocket generally are the hardest hit, even Americans with employer-sponsored plans have increasingly seen the costs eat up their salaries. Here, a numerical guide to how expensive it is to be healthy in the U.S.:
Annual public and private spending on health care
Amount that works out to per American
Percentage of GDP the $2.6 trillion constitutes
Cost, in 2002, to cover a family of four under an employer plan
Estimated cost to cover a family of four under an employer health plan in 2012, according to Milliman
Percent increase in employer-sponsored premiums since 2001
Cost, in 2010, for a typical family not enrolled in a group or employer health plan
Percentage of a household budget spent on health care in 2010
Annual per capita spending on pharmaceutical expenses
Average U.S. life expectancy
Annual per capita cost of health care in Norway, the second-most expensive nation in the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
Annual out-of-pocket expenses per person in Norway
Average life expectancy in Norway
Annual per capita cost of health care in Canada, No. 6 in the OECD
Average life expectancy in Canada
Annual per capita cost of health care in France, No. 10 in the OECD
Annual out-of-pocket expense per person in France
Average life expectancy in France
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
Subscribe to the Week