The story: Italian design firm Acquacalda has a solution in search of a problem: Jeans that make it a snap to hold an impromptu solo picnic, or at least to make their wearer the object of mirth. The unambiguously named Pic Nic Pants (see photos at right and below) are essentially "denim harem capris accentuated with a fabric flap that spreads out, all plate-like, when you sit cross-legged," explains Jessica Misener at The Huffington Post. The flap functions as a table on which to rest a sandwich or chicken leg, and also boasts an adjustable drink holder that attaches to the outside of one leg.
The reaction: This design is hideously ugly, says Jada Wong at Styleite. But "we give props to Acquacalda for creating the most literal example of functional fashion" in recent memory. Let's call these jeans "impressively bizarre," says Ashley Cardiff at The Gloss. And they might just "be practical — if you're one of those people who's constantly having picnics." My only quibble: "Shouldn't they be gingham?" Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- Twin Peaks: What the newly revealed 'missing pieces' change about the series
Subscribe to the Week