GOOD DAY FOR:
A study finds that if you put on a white coat that you believe is a doctor's, your ability to pay attention sharply increases. If you think the coat belongs to a painter? No benefit. [The New York Times]
One lucky damsel in distress
Ryan Gosling reportedly saves a pedestrian's life by pulling her out of the way of oncoming traffic. [The Frisky]
Playing by the rules
A bank teller foils a woman's plans of robbery by telling her that the bank is closed and she should return the next day. [Huffington Post]
BAD DAY FOR:
A worldwide shortage of vanilla bean could increase the cost of vanilla ice cream by as much as 10 percent. [TIME]
Angry iPhone users lament on Twitter that popular photo-sharing app Instagram is less desirable now that Android users have it, too. [BuzzFeed]
Actor Tracy Morgan opens his car door into a cyclist... and blames the cyclist for wearing a difficult-to-see, all-black outfit. [New York Post]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: April 3, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- California's epic drought
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week