GOOD DAY FOR:
A study finds that if you put on a white coat that you believe is a doctor's, your ability to pay attention sharply increases. If you think the coat belongs to a painter? No benefit. [The New York Times]
One lucky damsel in distress
Ryan Gosling reportedly saves a pedestrian's life by pulling her out of the way of oncoming traffic. [The Frisky]
Playing by the rules
A bank teller foils a woman's plans of robbery by telling her that the bank is closed and she should return the next day. [Huffington Post]
BAD DAY FOR:
A worldwide shortage of vanilla bean could increase the cost of vanilla ice cream by as much as 10 percent. [TIME]
Angry iPhone users lament on Twitter that popular photo-sharing app Instagram is less desirable now that Android users have it, too. [BuzzFeed]
Actor Tracy Morgan opens his car door into a cyclist... and blames the cyclist for wearing a difficult-to-see, all-black outfit. [New York Post]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: April 3, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
Subscribe to the Week