GOOD DAY FOR:
Going in for the kill
Mattel introduces a Katniss Everdeen Barbie, modeled after the fearless, tomboyish heroine in The Hunger Games. [Entertainment Weekly]
Eighteen-year-old Justin Bieber buys his first house, a 9,000-square-foot mansion, for $6 million. [The Stir]
In a gutsy move, Ikea announces plans to build a 27-acre neighborhood on the outskirts of London. [BuzzFeed]
BAD DAY FOR:
The gold-digger stereotype
Women are now more likely to marry a man beneath them in status than they are to "marry up," according to a new study. [Newser]
Angry Greek protesters throw yogurt and eggs at a local newscaster as he interviews the spokesman for a far-right political organization. [Huffington Post]
Health-conscious French President Nicolas Sarkozy eliminates the traditional post-meal cheese course in his home. [TIME]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: April 5, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week