GOOD DAY FOR:
Going in for the kill
Mattel introduces a Katniss Everdeen Barbie, modeled after the fearless, tomboyish heroine in The Hunger Games. [Entertainment Weekly]
Eighteen-year-old Justin Bieber buys his first house, a 9,000-square-foot mansion, for $6 million. [The Stir]
In a gutsy move, Ikea announces plans to build a 27-acre neighborhood on the outskirts of London. [BuzzFeed]
BAD DAY FOR:
The gold-digger stereotype
Women are now more likely to marry a man beneath them in status than they are to "marry up," according to a new study. [Newser]
Angry Greek protesters throw yogurt and eggs at a local newscaster as he interviews the spokesman for a far-right political organization. [Huffington Post]
Health-conscious French President Nicolas Sarkozy eliminates the traditional post-meal cheese course in his home. [TIME]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: April 5, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week