OOD DAY FOR:
Going in for the kill
Mattel introduces a Katniss Everdeen Barbie, modeled after the fearless, tomboyish heroine in The Hunger Games. [Entertainment Weekly]
Eighteen-year-old Justin Bieber buys his first house, a 9,000-square-foot mansion, for $6 million. [The Stir]
In a gutsy move, Ikea announces plans to build a 27-acre neighborhood on the outskirts of London. [BuzzFeed]
BAD DAY FOR:
The gold-digger stereotype
Women are now more likely to marry a man beneath them in status than they are to "marry up," according to a new study. [Newser]
Angry Greek protesters throw yogurt and eggs at a local newscaster as he interviews the spokesman for a far-right political organization. [Huffington Post]
Health-conscious French President Nicolas Sarkozy eliminates the traditional post-meal cheese course in his home. [TIME]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: April 5, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
- The odds are 11 million to 1 that you'll die in a plane crash
Subscribe to the Week