GOOD DAY FOR:
Going in for the kill
Mattel introduces a Katniss Everdeen Barbie, modeled after the fearless, tomboyish heroine in The Hunger Games. [Entertainment Weekly]
Eighteen-year-old Justin Bieber buys his first house, a 9,000-square-foot mansion, for $6 million. [The Stir]
In a gutsy move, Ikea announces plans to build a 27-acre neighborhood on the outskirts of London. [BuzzFeed]
BAD DAY FOR:
The gold-digger stereotype
Women are now more likely to marry a man beneath them in status than they are to "marry up," according to a new study. [Newser]
Angry Greek protesters throw yogurt and eggs at a local newscaster as he interviews the spokesman for a far-right political organization. [Huffington Post]
Health-conscious French President Nicolas Sarkozy eliminates the traditional post-meal cheese course in his home. [TIME]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: April 5, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week