OOD DAY FOR:
Gas guzzler pride
A new study finds that 65 percent of all hybrid car owners switch back to a regular car when it comes time to buy a new vehicle. [MSNBC]
Three public school educators come forward as Maryland's Mega Millions winners, amicably splitting the jackpot, as they'd originally agreed, in a remarkable display of fairness and organization. [Opposing Views]
Two brothers launch a membership-based, all-you-can-fly California airline that would cost passengers $750 per month. [TIME]
BAD DAY FOR:
Paying for paying respects
Residents of Newark, N.J., are enraged to discover that Whitney Houston's funeral cost the city $187,000 — a full 5 percent of the police department's budget. [Huffington Post]
A Texas gas station accidentally sells its fuel for $1 per gallon, causing an overflow of customers and ultimately ending in the station running out of gas. [Consumerist]
A new report suggests that the odds of being accepted off of some colleges' waitlists are only slightly more favorable than the odds of winning the lottery. [Business Insider]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: April 9, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why is American internet so slow?
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week