OOD DAY FOR:
Pimping your case
A man accused of running a prostitution ring tries to turn his trial into a media event so he can generate interest in a potential movie or book deal. [The New York Times]
FX releases the first promo for Anger Management, a television spin-off starring Charlie Sheen in the role Jack Nicholson undertook in the big-screen version. [Gawker]
Pub trivia fanatics
According to a new study, men who drink two pints of beer while solving brain teasers perform better than their sober counterparts. [Daily News]
BAD DAY FOR:
Getting your hopes up
UCLA mistakenly sends acceptance letters to 894 students who are actually only on the waitlist. [Business Insider]
Practicing what you preach
Self-proclaimed fiscal conservative Newt Gingrich fails to get on the Utah presidential ballot after his campaign bounces a check for $500. [Death and Taxes]
The Immaterial Girl
Sales of Madonna's new album take a nosedive, saddling MDNA with the biggest second-week sales drop in U.S. chart history. [Huffington Post]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: April 10, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week