OOD DAY FOR:
A Los Angeles pinball shop donates one of its machines to Caine's Arcade, a local 9-year-old's "meticulously crafted" cardboard arcade. [The Daily What]
A new study sponsored by the Swedish government claims that banning texting while driving would not decrease the risk of car crashes. [Gawker]
Saving the whales
A new iPad and iPhone app uses GPS to tell mariners where endangered whales are located to help prevent whale-ship collisions. [Discovery News]
BAD DAY FOR:
KFC apologizes for telling frightened Thailand citizens they should "hurry home" during a tsunami scare, but not before ordering their favorite KFC menu item. [Global Post]
Healthy body images
Pop star Lady Gaga comes under fire from eating-disorder activists after starting a #PopSingersDontEat hashtag on Twitter. [Newser]
The food chain
Test results confirm that rat poison intended to rid New York City of its rodent problem is subsequently killing the city's healthy hawks, who eat the rodents. [Gothamist]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: April 11, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week