GOOD DAY FOR:
A Los Angeles pinball shop donates one of its machines to Caine's Arcade, a local 9-year-old's "meticulously crafted" cardboard arcade. [The Daily What]
A new study sponsored by the Swedish government claims that banning texting while driving would not decrease the risk of car crashes. [Gawker]
Saving the whales
A new iPad and iPhone app uses GPS to tell mariners where endangered whales are located to help prevent whale-ship collisions. [Discovery News]
BAD DAY FOR:
KFC apologizes for telling frightened Thailand citizens they should "hurry home" during a tsunami scare, but not before ordering their favorite KFC menu item. [Global Post]
Healthy body images
Pop star Lady Gaga comes under fire from eating-disorder activists after starting a #PopSingersDontEat hashtag on Twitter. [Newser]
The food chain
Test results confirm that rat poison intended to rid New York City of its rodent problem is subsequently killing the city's healthy hawks, who eat the rodents. [Gothamist]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: April 11, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week