elcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's contest: Sales of craft beers such as Sweetwater Happy Ending Imperial Stout and Wasatch Polygamy Porter (from Utah) jumped 13 percent last year. Given the soaring prospects for microbrews, we asked you to concoct the most pretentious name for a beer ever.
THE WINNER: Vermont Mountain Lakes Shade-Grown Double-Hopped Not Quite Pale Ale
TM Flynn, Lyndon Center, VT
SECOND PLACE: Rachel's Enviro-Friendly Wheat-Free Wheat Beer
Gary Hennion, New York, NY
THIRD PLACE: Horst Anderwaggen's Premium Sauerkraut Stout
John Kirby, Chattanooga, TN
Carry My Bags Porter
Joe Adiletta, Cambridge, MA
Cannes de Bière
Paul Kazee, Schenectady, NY
Linda Manuel, Stockton, NJ
Bob Welch, Minnetonka, MN
Miles, Charlie & Dizzy's Favorite Brew
Ron Sahatjian, Lexington, MA
Ivy Leaguer Lager
Angela James, Westminster, MD
Summa Cum Lager
Ginny Lord, Oconomowoc, WI
Roni Rork, Humboldt, MA
Paul Witte, New Hope, PA
Bob Scheibel, Woodland Hills, CA
David Carpenter, North Hills, CA
Et Tu, Brewtus?
Emily Cooper, Hillsborough, NC
Pitcher of Dorian Gray
Tim Edgerton, Sonora, CA
You Pale in Comparison Ale
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
Brood in Obscurity
Megan Lyons, Sarasota, FL
Believe in Bain Beer
Esther Fishman, San Francisco, CA
Barb Pollyea, La Mesa, CA
Bud Light Unobtanium
Duncan Seagle, Seattle, WA
The Mother of the King of Beers
Gary Klein, Pleasantville, NY
Janet E. Stafford, Oklahoma City, OK
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- How moderns celebrate Good Friday and Easter
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week