The image: The celebrations for Oreo's 100th birthday are off to an improbably R-rated start. A leaked advertisement for Oreos in South Korea, which quickly whirled around the internet, features a baby holding an Oreo while feeding from a shapely breast. (See the NSFW image below.) The caption reads, "Milk's favorite cookie," and the ad was titled "Oreo Basic Instinct" by its creator, the advertising firm Cheil Worldwide. Kraft, Oreo's parent company, says that the ad was meant for an advertising forum in South Korea, and never intended for wide release.
The reaction: This "provocative ad is spectacular," says Elie Ayrouth at FoodBeast, but who is the target audience, exactly? "Pregnant women? Horny snack junkies? Super advanced grocery decision-making infants?" Regardless, it's clear breastfeeding in South Korea isn't the "brouhaha-inducing Big Deal" it is over here, says Neetzan Zimmerman at Gawker. And the ad gets its point across: When you have milk, you have to have an Oreo. "But isn't there something kind of… icky… about the way this ad blatantly sexualizes breastfeeding?" says Kavita Varma-White at MSNBC. The ad was undoubtedly created by "a guy, or a group of them — sitting around thinking, 'How can we make a cookie look sexy?' Cookies. Milk. Kids. Breast milk. Boobs!" Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- The rise of the global middle class is our best hope to stop climate change
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
Subscribe to the Week