GOOD DAY FOR:
A new report names Maine the most peaceful state in the union, with Vermont, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island all ranking in the top 10. [Newser]
Meeting your meat
A German entrepreneur launches a web project that allows diners to see the face of the pig they are about to eat. [Global Post]
"I Cried," a new Google Chrome extension, lets users see how many people admitted to sobbing through any sentimental YouTube video. [TIME]
BAD DAY FOR:
21st century moonshine
A group of California teens ends up in the hospital after drinking highly concentrated alcohol they extracted from hand sanitizer. [Huffington Post]
Pizza Hut tops its hot dog-stuffed crust by offering a new pizza that features a cheeseburger and chicken nugget-stuffed crust. [Consumerist]
Your virtual self-worth
Facebook's recent filings reveal that each user is worth a mere $4.81 a year to the company. [BuzzFeed]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: April 23, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
Subscribe to the Week