GOOD DAY FOR:
A new report names Maine the most peaceful state in the union, with Vermont, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island all ranking in the top 10. [Newser]
Meeting your meat
A German entrepreneur launches a web project that allows diners to see the face of the pig they are about to eat. [Global Post]
"I Cried," a new Google Chrome extension, lets users see how many people admitted to sobbing through any sentimental YouTube video. [TIME]
BAD DAY FOR:
21st century moonshine
A group of California teens ends up in the hospital after drinking highly concentrated alcohol they extracted from hand sanitizer. [Huffington Post]
Pizza Hut tops its hot dog-stuffed crust by offering a new pizza that features a cheeseburger and chicken nugget-stuffed crust. [Consumerist]
Your virtual self-worth
Facebook's recent filings reveal that each user is worth a mere $4.81 a year to the company. [BuzzFeed]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: April 23, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
Subscribe to the Week