Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's contest: Sweden has embarked on a crusade to abolish gender roles altogether. With the release of a children's book pioneering the pronoun, hen, as an alternative to he and she, we asked you for the title of the first gender-neutral children's book in English.
THE WINNER: All the Royal Person's Persons
Mark Porter, Lees Summit, MO
SECOND PLACE: The French Lieutenant's Domestic Partner
Pamela Traylor, Bloomington, MN
THIRD PLACE: The Siblings Karamazov
Charles Begg, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Janine Witte, New Hope, PA
Some People are from Mars, Other People are from Venus
Karen Ennis, Breinigsville, PA
Little Persons — Who Wear Dresses
Neil Young, Mill Valley, CA
Betsy Bermant, Madison, WI
Are You My Progenitor?
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
Earthlings are from Mars, Earthlings are from Venus.
Matt Harmon, S. Euclid, OH
The Individual with the Dragon Tattoo
William Wilson, Hudson, OH
Mark Rumple, Austin, TX
Valley of the Action Figures
Brian Lenhart, Allen TX
I Guess You Can Eat Quiche After All If You Really want To
Heidi Hall, Massillon, OH
The Androgynous Mystique
Beth Cadigan, Olympia, WA
Everyone Is From Marvenus!
Carole Hebert, Penfield, NY
Twelve Angry Hens
Priscilla Trageser, Orchard Park, NY
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Artist
Tom Arany, Portland, OR
Act like a....uh...well...person, think like a…other kind of person.
Caleb Callahan, Saint Paul, MN
Death of a Salesperson
Jordan Zweigoron, Santa Clara, CA
They're Just Not That Into Them
Eve Nay, Provo, UT
Romy and Jules
Lauren Garden, Flushing, NY
Hantel & Gresel
Greg Newman, Seymour, CT
People are from the Solar System
Barbara Selvaggio, Chicago, IL
The Nancy or Drew Mysteries
Bob Goodfellow, Iowa City, IA
I Remember One of My Parents
Kenneth R. Updegrove, Cedaredge, CO
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: July 25, 2014
Subscribe to the Week