OOD DAY FOR:
New York pride
Manhattan's One World Trade Center becomes the city's tallest skyscraper as the building's unfinished skeleton tops 1,250 feet. [The Daily]
Jay-Z's expanding empire
The New Jersey Nets officially become the Brooklyn Nets, unveiling a new brand design and logo created by the hip-hop artist, who's also the basketball team's minority-stake owner. [Gothamist]
Contemplative video-game experiences
A group of academics are developing "Walden: The Game," a game based on Henry David Thoreau's transcendentalist book, Walden Pond. [Death & Taxes]
BAD DAY FOR:
Learning the lessons of history
An Australian billionaire unveils plans to build "Titanic II," a 21st century version of the infamous ship, which he hopes will complete its first voyage from England to New York in 2016. [Discovery News]
An Arizona high school student records a cell-phone video of her principal canoodling with a school secretary and posts it online. The principal resigns in disgrace. [The Stir]
The tourism-ensuring, eucalyptus-eating marsupials are placed on the threatened species list as their population dwindles. They may soon become an endangered species. [BBC News]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Game of Thrones recap: 'The Lion and the Rose'
Subscribe to the Week