GOOD DAY FOR:
A new report finds that the teenage birth rate in the U.S. has hit a record low. [Discovery News]
The Big Aristotle
Retired NBA star Shaquille O'Neal earns a Ph.D. in education from Barry University, where he will graduate with a 3.8 GPA. [Newser]
Taking a cue from kangaroos
A global survey finds that hundreds of thousands of lives could be saved each year if parents of premature babies in poor countries carried their children around in pouches against their skin. [New Scientist]
BAD DAY FOR:
A man exposes himself at the Association for the Blind in Buck County, Penn., but a seeing person in the room notices and reports him to the police. [Death & Taxes]
A press screening of The Avengers is postponed after the projectionist accidentally deletes the file that contained the entire film. [Tecca]
The Snooki-fication of America
A startlingly tan New Jersey mother is charged with child endangerment after her 5-year-old daughter gets sunburned on a joint trip to the tanning beds. [The Daily What]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: May 1, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week