OOD DAY FOR:
New research finds that protests against JC Penney ads featuring lesbian moms and their children have actually bolstered customers' opinion of the brand. [Business Insider]
Sleeping with the fishes
A contracting firm releases its plans for a super-luxurious underwater hotel in Dubai. [The Daily What]
The Obama campaign raises $1 million in the first 90 minutes after the president publicly endorses gay marriage. [BuzzFeed]
BAD DAY FOR:
Blemishing the historical record
A Ferrari leaves skid marks on a 600-year-old wall in China while performing a publicity stunt atop the Ming Dynasty-era monument. [TIME]
New York's One World Trade Center may not reach its planned (and symbolic) height of 1,776 feet thanks to a decision to eliminate the cladding that would have surrounded its mast. [Gothamist]
Treating class clowns like dogs
A Florida high school teacher is in hot water for forcing misbehaving students to wear a bulky plastic collar called "the cone of shame."[Opposing Views]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: May 9, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- SNL tackles Vladimir Putin's Ukraine invasion, politically and personally
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week