GOOD DAY FOR:
New research finds that protests against JC Penney ads featuring lesbian moms and their children have actually bolstered customers' opinion of the brand. [Business Insider]
Sleeping with the fishes
A contracting firm releases its plans for a super-luxurious underwater hotel in Dubai. [The Daily What]
The Obama campaign raises $1 million in the first 90 minutes after the president publicly endorses gay marriage. [BuzzFeed]
BAD DAY FOR:
Blemishing the historical record
A Ferrari leaves skid marks on a 600-year-old wall in China while performing a publicity stunt atop the Ming Dynasty-era monument. [TIME]
New York's One World Trade Center may not reach its planned (and symbolic) height of 1,776 feet thanks to a decision to eliminate the cladding that would have surrounded its mast. [Gothamist]
Treating class clowns like dogs
A Florida high school teacher is in hot water for forcing misbehaving students to wear a bulky plastic collar called "the cone of shame."[Opposing Views]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: May 9, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
Subscribe to the Week