OOD DAY FOR:
The name Mason skyrockets in popularity, becoming the second most popular baby boy name in 2011 — in part, it seems, because Kourtney Kardashian named her first son Mason in 2009. [Gawker]
An Egyptian man, who had apparently been killed by a heart attack, wakes up at his own funeral, and his family quickly changes the affair into a "welcome back" celebration. [TIME]
Random acts of kindness
A man posts his terminally-ill uncle's P.O. Box address on Reddit; he immediately receives kind words in the mail from all over the world. [The Daily What]
BAD DAY FOR:
German scientists speculate that swimmers urinating in Germany's Eichbaum Lake could have contributed to the death of 500 fish. [Newser]
21st century multitasking
A New Jersey town begins ticketing people who are texting while walking, after a startling number of people had been hit by cars while doing so. [Consumerist]
The permanence of ownership
New research finds that 10 percent of all Corvettes built in the last 30 years have been stolen. [Business Insider]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: May 11, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
Subscribe to the Week