fter pricing its initial public offering at $38 per share, Facebook stock hit the market at $42 a pop Friday morning, vaulting the social network to a valuation of well over $100 billion, and positioning Facebook to raise some $16 billion, making it one of the largest IPOs in U.S. history. Company founder Mark Zuckerberg, dressed in a half-zipped hoodie, remotely rang Nasdaq's opening bell from Facebook's California office at 9:30 a.m. EST, following an all-night company party to celebrate the occasion. "It's official," says Mike Isaac at All Things D, "$FB has arrived." Here, a look at Facebook's historic day, by the numbers:
Facebook's value (based on the $38 IPO price), making it worth more than McDonald's, Kraft, Citigroup, Amazon, and Disney
Funds that Facebook's public offering is expected to raise
Funds raised by Visa's public offering in 2008 — the only U.S. IPO bigger than Facebook's
Funds raised by Google's public offering in 2004, at that point, the largest tech IPO in history
Total internet users in 2004, the year "TheFacebook.com" made its debut in Harvard dorm rooms
Harvard students who signed up for the new social network within 24 hours
Total internet users in all of Asia today
Internet users in all of Europe
Estimated net worth of Mark Zuckerberg, 28, making him the 29th richest person in the world
Shares of Facebook Class A common stock made available to the public Friday
Shares of Facebook stock that changed hands in the first 30 seconds of trading
Editor's note: This article originally misstated the year that Yahoo offered to buy Facebook. It has since been revised. We regret the error.
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The executioners' lament
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What every TV show can learn from Sleepy Hollow
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
Subscribe to the Week