OOD DAY FOR:
Ostentatious displays of wealth
A mystery buyer breaks a New York City record by shelling out more than $90 million for a duplex luxury penthouse in midtown Manhattan. [Gothamist]
Falling into love
A California woman gains a new pet when she rescues a weeks-old puppy that literally fell from the sky. The pup was likely dropped by a passing hawk. [The Daily What]
At least something on Twitter being private
Twitter introduces a Do Not Track privacy option, which prevents Twitter from giving your personal information to advertisers. [Death & Taxes]
BAD DAY FOR:
For the third time in six months, someone crashes his car into a Pennsylvania couple's house. [Business Insider]
A Michigan teen reports finding a severed finger in his sandwich at Arby's. [TIME]
The heart at home
A new Gallup poll finds that stay-at-home moms struggle with sadness, anger, and depression more than working mothers do. [Newser]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: May 17, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?
Subscribe to the Week