OOD DAY FOR:
Ostentatious displays of wealth
A mystery buyer breaks a New York City record by shelling out more than $90 million for a duplex luxury penthouse in midtown Manhattan. [Gothamist]
Falling into love
A California woman gains a new pet when she rescues a weeks-old puppy that literally fell from the sky. The pup was likely dropped by a passing hawk. [The Daily What]
At least something on Twitter being private
Twitter introduces a Do Not Track privacy option, which prevents Twitter from giving your personal information to advertisers. [Death & Taxes]
BAD DAY FOR:
For the third time in six months, someone crashes his car into a Pennsylvania couple's house. [Business Insider]
A Michigan teen reports finding a severed finger in his sandwich at Arby's. [TIME]
The heart at home
A new Gallup poll finds that stay-at-home moms struggle with sadness, anger, and depression more than working mothers do. [Newser]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: May 17, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 20, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week