GOOD DAY FOR:
Google's world domination
Google Chrome surpasses Windows Internet Explorer to become the most used web browser on Earth. [Tecca]
The oldest known Babe Ruth jersey sells for a record-breaking $4.4 million, making it the most expensive piece of sports memorabilia ever. [Business Insider]
Beer maker Guinness celebrates its 250th birthday by converting a submarine into an underwater bar. [Discovery News]
BAD DAY FOR:
Two parents attempt to scare their child in a laundromat by putting him in a washing machine, which turns on when they shut the door. [Gawker]
Fair-weather pet owningB
As the popularity of the Harry Potter series wanes, hundreds of Potter fans abandon their pet owls. [Geekosystem]
Harbor Patrol agents in California discover 4 tons of marijuana worth $3.6 million floating in the ocean, without a boat in sight. [Newser]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: May 18, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week