GOOD DAY FOR:
Choosing comfort over aesthetics
Ubiquitous fuzzy boot-maker Ugg releases its "I do!" collection of wedding boots. [The Daily What]
Innovations in bovine butchery
Oklahoma State University is attempting to patent a new cut of steak called "The Vegas Strip." [Geekosystem]
Stephen Colbert makes Maxim's top 100 hot women list thanks to loyal fans who fueled his write-in campaign. [BuzzFeed]
BAD DAY FOR:
Close-minded air travelers
A passenger is booted from a plane in Brazil after he learns the pilot is a woman and makes a string of sexist remarks. [AP]
Leaving the lights on
New research finds that artificial outdoor lighting wreaks havoc on insect communities and could threaten entire ecosystems as a result. [Newser]
The healing powers of Pom
A judge rules that pomegranate juice maker Pom Wonderful used "deceptive advertising" to persuade consumers that its product could "treat or prevent serious diseases or medical conditions." [Business Insider]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: May 22, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week