OOD DAY FOR:
Choosing comfort over aesthetics
Ubiquitous fuzzy boot-maker Ugg releases its "I do!" collection of wedding boots. [The Daily What]
Innovations in bovine butchery
Oklahoma State University is attempting to patent a new cut of steak called "The Vegas Strip." [Geekosystem]
Stephen Colbert makes Maxim's top 100 hot women list thanks to loyal fans who fueled his write-in campaign. [BuzzFeed]
BAD DAY FOR:
Close-minded air travelers
A passenger is booted from a plane in Brazil after he learns the pilot is a woman and makes a string of sexist remarks. [AP]
Leaving the lights on
New research finds that artificial outdoor lighting wreaks havoc on insect communities and could threaten entire ecosystems as a result. [Newser]
The healing powers of Pom
A judge rules that pomegranate juice maker Pom Wonderful used "deceptive advertising" to persuade consumers that its product could "treat or prevent serious diseases or medical conditions." [Business Insider]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: May 22, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week