OOD DAY FOR:
Blind people can now play tennis, thanks to an innovation that allows them to hear and track the sound of the ball when it rattles and bounces. [The New York Times]
Hipsters hopping the pond
Food trucks are becoming popular in Paris, with the highest praise going to cuisine that is "très Brooklyn," a term that signifies informality, creativity, and quality. [Discovery News]
It was only a matter of time before the internet created a mash-up video in which Obama (sort of) sings "Call Me Maybe." [Videogum]
BAD DAY FOR:
Taco Bell smashes records by selling 100 million Doritos Locos tacos (in which the taco shell is a giant nacho cheese-flavored Dorito) in a mere 10 weeks. [Death & Taxes]
Public displays of patriotism
An elderly New Jersey woman faces eviction for displaying American flags on her balcony, violating housing development rules that forbid any balcony decorations. [Consumerist]
A South Carolina mother is arrested for cheering too loudly at her daughter's graduation ceremony. [Opposing Views]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week