GOOD DAY FOR:
Blind people can now play tennis, thanks to an innovation that allows them to hear and track the sound of the ball when it rattles and bounces. [The New York Times]
Hipsters hopping the pond
Food trucks are becoming popular in Paris, with the highest praise going to cuisine that is "très Brooklyn," a term that signifies informality, creativity, and quality. [Discovery News]
It was only a matter of time before the internet created a mash-up video in which Obama (sort of) sings "Call Me Maybe." [Videogum]
BAD DAY FOR:
Taco Bell smashes records by selling 100 million Doritos Locos tacos (in which the taco shell is a giant nacho cheese-flavored Dorito) in a mere 10 weeks. [Death & Taxes]
Public displays of patriotism
An elderly New Jersey woman faces eviction for displaying American flags on her balcony, violating housing development rules that forbid any balcony decorations. [Consumerist]
A South Carolina mother is arrested for cheering too loudly at her daughter's graduation ceremony. [Opposing Views]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week