OOD DAY FOR:
Blind people can now play tennis, thanks to an innovation that allows them to hear and track the sound of the ball when it rattles and bounces. [The New York Times]
Hipsters hopping the pond
Food trucks are becoming popular in Paris, with the highest praise going to cuisine that is "très Brooklyn," a term that signifies informality, creativity, and quality. [Discovery News]
It was only a matter of time before the internet created a mash-up video in which Obama (sort of) sings "Call Me Maybe." [Videogum]
BAD DAY FOR:
Taco Bell smashes records by selling 100 million Doritos Locos tacos (in which the taco shell is a giant nacho cheese-flavored Dorito) in a mere 10 weeks. [Death & Taxes]
Public displays of patriotism
An elderly New Jersey woman faces eviction for displaying American flags on her balcony, violating housing development rules that forbid any balcony decorations. [Consumerist]
A South Carolina mother is arrested for cheering too loudly at her daughter's graduation ceremony. [Opposing Views]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Captain America won over China
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
Subscribe to the Week