GOOD DAY FOR:
Rio de Janeiro closes Brazil's largest landfill, planning to turn the 244-football-field-sized area into a park. [Discovery News]
Not holding back
A disappointed supporter slaps Milwaukee Democratic Mayor Tom Barrett after he concedes to Republican Gov. Scott Walker in the Wisconsin recall election. [Opposing Views]
Safe Garden State road trips
New Jersey becomes the first state to start fining drivers ($250 to $1,000) for letting their pets run loose in the car. [Gothamist]
BAD DAY FOR:
Justifying your Pulitzer
The Huffington Post discreetly launches a page dedicated entirely to shots of celebrity "sideboob." [BuzzFeed]
Game-maker Zynga is hit with charges of racism after unveiling an Asia-themed add-on pack for the hit game FarmVille, featuring "exotic" scenes with pandas, dragons, and rice paddies. [New York]
Tone-deaf reality TV shows
Spike TV teases the premiere of World's Worst Tenants, a new reality show that portrays tenants facing eviction as bad guys, and the evictors as heroes. [Death & Taxes]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week