OOD DAY FOR:
Rio de Janeiro closes Brazil's largest landfill, planning to turn the 244-football-field-sized area into a park. [Discovery News]
Not holding back
A disappointed supporter slaps Milwaukee Democratic Mayor Tom Barrett after he concedes to Republican Gov. Scott Walker in the Wisconsin recall election. [Opposing Views]
Safe Garden State road trips
New Jersey becomes the first state to start fining drivers ($250 to $1,000) for letting their pets run loose in the car. [Gothamist]
BAD DAY FOR:
Justifying your Pulitzer
The Huffington Post discreetly launches a page dedicated entirely to shots of celebrity "sideboob." [BuzzFeed]
Game-maker Zynga is hit with charges of racism after unveiling an Asia-themed add-on pack for the hit game FarmVille, featuring "exotic" scenes with pandas, dragons, and rice paddies. [New York]
Tone-deaf reality TV shows
Spike TV teases the premiere of World's Worst Tenants, a new reality show that portrays tenants facing eviction as bad guys, and the evictors as heroes. [Death & Taxes]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week