GOOD DAY FOR:
A selfless high school runner heroically carries her opponent to the finish line — making sure the injured runner crosses first — after she falls a mere 50 meters before completing the race. [The Stir]
New York high school students, irate over their private school's dress code prohibiting bare shoulders and short skirts, strike back with a "Slutty Wednesday" protest. [Gothamist]
Modern-day measuring sticks
A new analysis finds that the Great Wall of China is twice as long as originally thought. [Geekosystem]
BAD DAY FOR:
Looking the part
A 15-year-old Florida girl dressed as Tinkerbell is barred from entering a Disney theme park because her costume too closely resembles those of the employees inside. [Videogum]
Messing with The Donald
Donald Trump, who co-owns the Miss America Pageant, sues Miss Pennsylvania after she drops out of the contest, claiming she has proof that the pageant is rigged. [The Daily]
A man accused of attempting to rob a woman at knife point in a Connecticut casino insists he was sleepwalking during the incident. [Newser]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: June 6, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
Subscribe to the Week