GOOD DAY FOR:
A selfless high school runner heroically carries her opponent to the finish line — making sure the injured runner crosses first — after she falls a mere 50 meters before completing the race. [The Stir]
New York high school students, irate over their private school's dress code prohibiting bare shoulders and short skirts, strike back with a "Slutty Wednesday" protest. [Gothamist]
Modern-day measuring sticks
A new analysis finds that the Great Wall of China is twice as long as originally thought. [Geekosystem]
BAD DAY FOR:
Looking the part
A 15-year-old Florida girl dressed as Tinkerbell is barred from entering a Disney theme park because her costume too closely resembles those of the employees inside. [Videogum]
Messing with The Donald
Donald Trump, who co-owns the Miss America Pageant, sues Miss Pennsylvania after she drops out of the contest, claiming she has proof that the pageant is rigged. [The Daily]
A man accused of attempting to rob a woman at knife point in a Connecticut casino insists he was sleepwalking during the incident. [Newser]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: June 6, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week