GOOD DAY FOR:
New FBI data finds that the violent crime rate in the U.S. dropped for the fifth straight year, approaching a low not seen in decades. [Newser]
Staying out of trouble
A new study finds that the average per-person profit from a bank heist in the U.S. is a mere $4,330. [Business Insider]
Researchers say that those who consider themselves "morning people" tend to be happier. [LiveScience]
BAD DAY FOR:
A pair of what appear to be lungs are found just sitting on a sidewalk in Los Angeles. [Reuters]
The Nobel Foundation looks to save money by slashing some of its prizes from $1.4 million to $1.1 million. [Slate]
Justin Bieber's squeaky-clean image
A New York City principal prompts public outcry when she attempts to play Justin Bieber's "Baby" at a kindergarten graduation ceremony instead of "God Bless the USA" — a patriotic song she deemed too controversial. [Politicker]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: June 11, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week