OOD DAY FOR:
New FBI data finds that the violent crime rate in the U.S. dropped for the fifth straight year, approaching a low not seen in decades. [Newser]
Staying out of trouble
A new study finds that the average per-person profit from a bank heist in the U.S. is a mere $4,330. [Business Insider]
Researchers say that those who consider themselves "morning people" tend to be happier. [LiveScience]
BAD DAY FOR:
A pair of what appear to be lungs are found just sitting on a sidewalk in Los Angeles. [Reuters]
The Nobel Foundation looks to save money by slashing some of its prizes from $1.4 million to $1.1 million. [Slate]
Justin Bieber's squeaky-clean image
A New York City principal prompts public outcry when she attempts to play Justin Bieber's "Baby" at a kindergarten graduation ceremony instead of "God Bless the USA" — a patriotic song she deemed too controversial. [Politicker]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: June 11, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week