OOD DAY FOR:
New FBI data finds that the violent crime rate in the U.S. dropped for the fifth straight year, approaching a low not seen in decades. [Newser]
Staying out of trouble
A new study finds that the average per-person profit from a bank heist in the U.S. is a mere $4,330. [Business Insider]
Researchers say that those who consider themselves "morning people" tend to be happier. [LiveScience]
BAD DAY FOR:
A pair of what appear to be lungs are found just sitting on a sidewalk in Los Angeles. [Reuters]
The Nobel Foundation looks to save money by slashing some of its prizes from $1.4 million to $1.1 million. [Slate]
Justin Bieber's squeaky-clean image
A New York City principal prompts public outcry when she attempts to play Justin Bieber's "Baby" at a kindergarten graduation ceremony instead of "God Bless the USA" — a patriotic song she deemed too controversial. [Politicker]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: June 11, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
Subscribe to the Week