The video: The DVD of Game of Thrones' first season has been on sale for three months, but a brief and macabre presidential cameo in the season finale is just now gaining notice. A Reddit user recently highlighted the episode's DVD commentary, in which co-creators D.B Weiss and David Benoiff reveal that one of the decapitated heads impaled on a pike in a pivotal scene is actually a model of the head of George W. Bush. (Watch the video below, and pause at 1:07.) "It's not a political statement," they said. "We just had to use whatever head we had around." That revelation has sparked a backlash, with Brooklyn Republican Party Chairman Craig Eaton calling the scene "despicable," and urging viewers to boycott the show. HBO has apologized, and promises that the image of Bush's head will be removed from all future DVDs.
The reaction: Game of Thrones' "not a political statement" excuse is pretty far-fetched, says Rick Moran at American Thinker. The season one budget was $50 million to $60 million. Are we really to believe that the show's creators had to use some random head they "had around"? I'd personally be flattered to have "my own noggin on a spike for posterity in Game of Thrones," says James Poniewozik at TIME, but I'm not a political figure at risk for assassination attempts. This is "rightfully a sore subject." In any case, says Louisa Mellor at Den of Geek, anyone who owns this DVD should guard it carefully. "One day you may have a rarity on your hands." See for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- You're reheating pizza wrong
Subscribe to the Week