OOD DAY FOR:
Weapons of mass deliciousness
The U.S. Army celebrates its 237th birthday with a cupcake-shooting tank. [GlobalPost]
Moving to the sticks
A new report finds that parents in rural areas spend 20 percent less to raise a child than urban families do. [The Daily]
A forever-young fish
The goldfish a British man won when he was 4 years old is still alive and swimming for its owner's 28th birthday. [Discovery News]
BAD DAY FOR:
Coping quietly with culinary disappointment
A man calls 911 after a deli gets his sandwich order wrong and ignores his request for a "lot of mayonnaise." [Gothamist]
A Michigan lawmaker is banned from the House floor after she uses the word "vagina" while criticizing an anti-abortion bill. [New York]
Nurturing the young
Jimmy Kimmel hooks a young boy up to a fake lie detector and gets him to spill his secrets on live television. [Business Insider]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- The worrying rise of the anti-vaccination movement
- Can Rand Paul avoid the Neville Chamberlain trap?
- To build the Death Star, we'll need this space elevator
Subscribe to the Week