In a "major" announcement scheduled for Monday, Microsoft, a company that's known mainly for software, is expected to reveal a new tablet. Industry speculation is split on the device's precise nature: Will it be a Microsoft-branded tablet featuring Windows RT that puts the company in direct competition with Apple? Or will it be "a souped-up reader made in cooperation with Barnes and Noble — a device more like Amazon's Kindle Fire"? (Update: Barnes & Noble says it's not participating in today's announcement, making the second scenario unlikely.) Stay tuned...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Inside America's crumbling infrastructure
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week