OOD DAY FOR:
A man who lost his legs to a genetic disorder successfully summits Mt. Kilimanjaro, climbing most of the way on his hands, and raising $500,000 for charity. [HyperVocal]
The mother of all pearls
French researchers unearth the oldest natural pearl ever found. The 7,500-year-old artifact was discovered in the United Arab Emirates. [Discovery News]
A pop music revival
Adele's hit song "Rolling in the Deep" awakens a 7-year-old girl from a coma just as her family was preparing to say goodbye. [The Daily What]
BAD DAY FOR:
The chosen hot dogs
A class-action lawsuit alleges that Hebrew National, known for its kosher meat products, has been selling hot dogs that actually aren't kosher. [Reuters]
Ill-conceived sneaker designs
Adidas cancels production of a line of shoes that caused an uproar over the bright orange ankle shackles attached to the sneakers. Many critics said the function-less chains resembled slave shackles. [Consumerist]
Alec Baldwin allegedly punches a New York Daily News photographer who was trying to nab a shot of the 30 Rock star obtaining a marriage license. [Daily News]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Captain America won over China
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week