Johnny Depp, 48, and Vanessa Paradis, 39, have officially ended their 14-year relationship, an unusually long one in the celebrity universe. The split was not unheralded. The couple, who have two children together, once lived away from the spotlight in the French hamlet of Plan-de-la-Tour, but lately have been maintaining separate residences: Depp in Hollywood, Paradis in France. Earlier this year, while promoting a movie, Paradis told the press, "The idea of a soul mate is beautiful and very romantic to talk about in a movie or a song, but in reality, I find it scary."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real lesson of the looming Martha Coakley disaster
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week