Johnny Depp, 48, and Vanessa Paradis, 39, have officially ended their 14-year relationship, an unusually long one in the celebrity universe. The split was not unheralded. The couple, who have two children together, once lived away from the spotlight in the French hamlet of Plan-de-la-Tour, but lately have been maintaining separate residences: Depp in Hollywood, Paradis in France. Earlier this year, while promoting a movie, Paradis told the press, "The idea of a soul mate is beautiful and very romantic to talk about in a movie or a song, but in reality, I find it scary."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
Subscribe to the Week