Johnny Depp, 48, and Vanessa Paradis, 39, have officially ended their 14-year relationship, an unusually long one in the celebrity universe. The split was not unheralded. The couple, who have two children together, once lived away from the spotlight in the French hamlet of Plan-de-la-Tour, but lately have been maintaining separate residences: Depp in Hollywood, Paradis in France. Earlier this year, while promoting a movie, Paradis told the press, "The idea of a soul mate is beautiful and very romantic to talk about in a movie or a song, but in reality, I find it scary."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- This week I learned your coin toss odds are better than you think, and more
Subscribe to the Week