Johnny Depp, 48, and Vanessa Paradis, 39, have officially ended their 14-year relationship, an unusually long one in the celebrity universe. The split was not unheralded. The couple, who have two children together, once lived away from the spotlight in the French hamlet of Plan-de-la-Tour, but lately have been maintaining separate residences: Depp in Hollywood, Paradis in France. Earlier this year, while promoting a movie, Paradis told the press, "The idea of a soul mate is beautiful and very romantic to talk about in a movie or a song, but in reality, I find it scary."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
- The fascinating political evolution of Paul Ryan
- Is the Christian music industry liberalizing on gay marriage?
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
Subscribe to the Week