rench police on Wednesday captured a gunman who allegedly took four people hostage in a bank in Toulouse, claiming he had links to al Qaeda. The hostages were freed unharmed. The unidentified man told negotiators he was acting for "religious reasons," not for money, according to a local prosecutor. The seven-hour siege took place in the neighborhood where an Islamist gunmen, Mohamed Merah, allegedly killed seven people, including three at a Jewish school, in March.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
Subscribe to the Week