hen a 48-second teaser trailer for The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 2 was released in March, fans and critics were frustrated by its corny dialogue, laughable introduction of Bella the vampire, and unhelpful brevity. Now, the full trailer for the film, which hits theaters Nov. 14, has been released. (Watch the video below.) Does the clip make the Twilight conclusion seem any more compelling? Here, four things critics are buzzing about:
1. The film appears action-packed
Unlike the sleepy first teaser, which focused exclusively on Bella's new status as a vampire, this new clip unveils "quite a few beats from the plot," says Ali Plumb at Empire, including the climactic and violent showdown between the Volturi and the Cullens. When a vampire mistakenly tells the Volturi, the enforcers of vampire law, that Bella and Edward's daughter Renesmee is an immortal child — a form of vamp thought "far too powerful to be left alive," says MTV — the Volturi set out to murder the girl. Bella, Edward, and werewolf Jacob form an army of allies to protect Renesmee and battle the Volturi. This trailer must send Twilight diehards "running up the wall in excitement," says Sandy Schaefer at Screen Rant. Still, it's doubtful that more action is enough to woo new fans to the franchise, says Matt Maytum at Total Film.
2. Kristen Stewart seems legitimately lethal
This trailer offers more footage of Bella as a powerful vampire fiercely protecting her daughter, and it's far more believable than the first trailer in which her only detectible enemy was a... blinky deer, says Amanda Dobbins at New York. She's "already a more convincing badass here than she was in Snow White and the Huntsman," too, says Mandi Bierly at Entertainment Weekly.
3. Michael Sheen shines
British thespian Michael Sheen (The Queen, Frost/Nixon), who plays a leading member of the Volturi, seems to have a meatier role in this installment, and he certainly sinks his teeth into it. The highlight of the trailer is Sheen "chewing some scenery in the most delicious manner," says Bierly. The esteemed actor "finally gets the campy lines and hilarious battle garments he deserves," says Dobbins.
4. Still, several mysteries remain
While this trailer reveals more details about the film's plot than the first teaser, footage of the movie's biggest game-changer, Bella and Edward's daughter Renesmee, is still mostly under wraps, says Plumb. Plus: Many of the book's "more out-there moments" still haven't been previewed, so it's anyone's guess how deftly director Bill Condon negotiated the tricky material.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week